President Ahmed Bola Tinubu, on Monday (June 12) delivered an inspiring inaugural Democracy Day speech.
Here are 10 key talking points from President Tinubu’s speech:
- Tribute to Democracy Fighters: President Tinubu praised Chief MKO Abiola, Pa Alfred Rewane, Major General Shehu Musa Yar’Adua, and Kudirat Abiola for their sacrifices in the pursuit of democracy.
- Sympathy over Fuel Subsidy Removal: The President expressed sympathy for Nigerians over the recent removal of fuel subsidies and promised massive investment in transportation infrastructure, education, power supply, healthcare, and public utilities to improve the quality of life.
- Importance of Democracy: Tinubu emphasized the significance of democracy and highlighted the struggle against the annulment of the June 12, 1993, presidential election. He called for the protection and strengthening of democratic institutions.
- . Democracy Day Commemoration: The speech was delivered on Democracy Day, which marks the historic June 12, 1993, election and the subsequent struggle for democracy in Nigeria.
- Abiola’s Sacrifice: President Tinubu paid tribute to Chief MKO Abiola, the symbol of democracy, who sacrificed his life defending the ideals of democracy as the elected President. He also mentioned other heroes of democracy, including Kudirat Abiola, Pa Alfred Rewane, and Major General Shehu Musa Yar’Adua.
- Commitment to the Rule of Law: Tinubu emphasized the importance of a vibrant judiciary and the rule of law in strengthening democracy. He mentioned the harmonization of the retirement age for judicial officers as part of ongoing reforms.
- Social and Economic Justice: The President highlighted the need for democracy to deliver social and economic justice, with a focus on fighting poverty through well-thought-out policies.
- The promise of Development: President Tinubu pledged massive investment in transportation infrastructure, education, power supply, healthcare, and public utilities to improve the quality of life and fulfil electoral promises.
- Renewed Commitment: Tinubu called for a rededication to strengthening democracy, delivering on electoral promises, and governing with fairness, respect for the rule of law, and the dignity of all people.
- Sacrifice for Democracy: President Tinubu emphasized the theme of sacrifice throughout his speech, acknowledging the sacrifices made by Chief MKO Abiola, Kudirat Abiola, Pa Alfred Rewane, and Major General Shehu Musa Yar’Adua in their pursuit of democracy. He commended their bravery and highlighted the need to remember and honour their sacrifices in the ongoing journey towards a stronger democracy.