A string of devastating explosions in Nigeria that are believed to have been carried out by female suicide bombers have left at least 18 people dead and 30 injured.

_______________
Six persons are reportedly dead and several injured from one of the explosions that occurred on Saturday at a wedding ceremony in the northern state of Borno.


The coordinated attacks, according to the state’s emergency management organization, were directed against a hospital, a wedding, and the funeral of the deceased in the town of Gwoza.

The attacks were denounced by President Bola Tinubu as “desperate acts of terror” in a statement that was posted on Facebook by his media assistant.
He said that the tragedy had not jeopardized the recent progress gained and committed to take harsh measures against those accountable for the killings in the town of Gwoza.

“The president declares that the purveyors of wanton violence shall have a certain encounter with justice, and that these cowardly attacks are only but an isolated episode as his government will not allow the nation to slither into an era of fear, tears, sorrow, and blood,” it read.

Although no one has taken credit for the attacks, the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), an insurgency centered in Nigeria, has in the past claimed responsibility for bombs that killed people in Borno.


In Borno state, attackers have twice used improvised explosive devices and suicide to target individuals in the past four months.
Islamist extremists from Boko Haram have been in Borno state for 15 years, during which time they have killed over 40,000 people and forced over two million people to flee their homes.

When Boko Haram abducted around 270 schoolgirls from the town of Chibok, also in Borno state, in 2014, it became well-known worldwide.


According to the authorities, 18 deaths—including those of adults, children, and pregnant women—had been officially confirmed as of Saturday.

According to reports, at least thirty people had died in the explosions. However, some local media outlets cited a far higher death toll. The military has enforced a curfew.

On X, Amnesty International Nigeria demanded that attacks on Borno’s civilian population cease. “These deplorable attacks that took place at a time people were mourning demonstrate complete disregard for human life,” it said.

After Boko Haram captured Gwoza in 2014 and the Nigerian military reclaimed it in 2015, the group has persisted in carrying out kidnappings and attacks in the vicinity of the town. Twenty people were slain by Boko Haram militants in November of last year while they were leaving a burial in the neighboring state of Yobe.

By gvoice

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *